CVs and Activities
- July 2018, ACM-SIGEVO 10-years Impact Award for the paper Adaptive operator selection with dynamic multi-armed bandits, by Luis DaCosta, Alvaro Fialho, Marc Schoenauer, and Michèle Sebag.
- July 2018. Nacim Belkhir Winner ACM-GECCO 2018 BBComp single-objective and expensive single-objective tracks. Nacim was during his PhD co-supervised with Johann Dréo and Pierre Savéant.
- Sept.2017. François Gonard Winner OASC (Open Algorithm Selection Challenge) (see also slides 21-22), co-supervised with Michèle Sebag.
- July 2017. Nacim Belkhir Winner ACM-GECCO 2017 BBComp single-objective track, co-supervised with Johann Dréo and Pierre Savéant.
- July 2015. Best paper award, GECCO 2015 (GP track), for Memetic Semantic Genetic Programming, with Robyn Ffrancon.
- Sept. 2014. Best paper award, PPSN 2014 conference, for Maximum Likelihood-Based Online Adaptation of Hyper-Parameters in CMA-ES, with Ilya Loshchilov, Michèle Sebag and Nikolaus Hansen.
- May 2011. DAEYAHSP, Winner, Seventh International Planning Competition (Deterministic Temporal Satisficing track), with Johann Dreo, Pierre Savéant and Vincent Vidal.
- July 2010. Silver Medal, Humies Awards (Human Competitive Results by Evolutionary Computation) of the ACM GECCO conference (Portland, OR, USA), for ``An Evolutionary Metaheuristic for Domain-Independent Satisficing Planning'', with Jacques Bibaï, Pierre Savéant, and Vincent Vidal.
- April 2009. Best paper award, EvoBIO conference (Tübingen, Germany), for Validation of a morphogenesis model of Drosophila early development by a multi-objective evolutionary optimization algorithm with R. Dilão, D. Muraro, and M. Nicolau (Springer Verlag, LNCS 5483, p. 176-190).
- January 2009. Best paper award, LION'3 conference (Trento, Italy), for Dynamic Multi-Armed Bandits and Extreme Value-based Rewards for Adaptive Operator Selection in Evolutionary Algorithms with A. Fialho, L. Da Costa, and M. Sebag (Springer Verlag, LNCS 5851, p. 176-190).
- April 2008. EvoStar Award for Outstanding Contribution to Evolutionary Computation, awarded by the Organizing Board of EvoStar events.
- Evolutionary Chair Design - 2002-2006 (coll. Hatem Hamda, done with EO)
- July 2004. Senior Fellow of the ISGEC (International Society for Genetic and Evolutionary Computation). In 2005, ISGEC has become SIGEVO (the ACM Special Interest Group on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation.
- Chair of ACM SIGEVO - Special Interest Group on Evolutionary Computation (2015-2019, now on the Advisory Board), member of Business Comm. 2011-2013, secretary 2011-2015.
Editor in Chief of MIT Press Evolutionary Computation Journal (2002-2009),
Associate editor of IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation (1996-2004),
Springer (ex-Kluwer) Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines (2000-2016, now on the Advisory Board), Elsevier Theoretical Computer Science - Theory of Natural Computing (TCS-C) (1999-2006),
Soft Computing (2001-now),
and Springer (ex-Kluwer) Journal of Heuristics (1997-2003). Area Editor of JMLR (2013-now).
- Senior Fellow of the late International Society on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation since 2004, but ISGEC turned in 2005 into SIGEVO ...
- Council Member of CSS, the Complex System Society (2005-2010).
- Member of the Executive Committee of Evonet, the European Network of Excellence in Evolutionary Computing, throughout its lifetime (1996-2002)
- Deputy Research Director at Inria, in charge of AI
- Member of the Villani mission that delivered the so-called "Villani report" on the French Strategy for AI on March 29., 2018
- Délégué scientifique (~ VP for Research) at INRIA Saclay Research Center (2010-2016)
- Chair of the "Commission Scientifique" at INRIA Saclay Research Center (2008-2010)
- Member of INRIA COST (Scientific and Technological Steering Committee), chair of Prospective WG (2005-2006)
- Founding President (1995-2003) of Association Evolution Artificielle (French Artificial Evolution Society)
- President of AFIA (French AI Society) (2002-2004).
Software (not active any more)
- 2022-2025 Adra-e, Scientific coordinator: an ICT49 Coordinated Support Action for the AI, Data and Robotics Partnership.
- 2020-2024 TRUST-AI, Transparent, Reliable and Unbiased Smart Tool for Artificial Intelligence: H2020 RIA, coordinated by Gonçalo Figueira, INESC, Portugal
- 2020-2023 TAILOR - Trustworthy AI - Integrating Learning, Optimization and Reasoning: ICT48 Towards a vibrant European network of AI excellence centres, coordinated by Fredrik Heintz, Linköping U., Sweden
- 2013-2017 NumBBO (ANR project coordinated by Anne Auger (now head of RANDOPT team at INRIA Saclay)
- 2007-2013 Microsoft-INRIA Joint lab project on Adaptive search for E-Science
- 2009-2012 DESCARWIN, in ANR program COSINUS, coordinated by Pierre Saveant (THALES), about Evolutionary Planning.
- 2008-2013 SYMBRION - FP7 IP: Learning in Swarm Robotics
- OMD2 - ANR: Multi-Disciplinary Optimization (in French)
- 2009-2012 CSDL FUI Région Ile-de-France, with label from System@tic: Complex Systems Design Lab coordinated by Dassault-Aviation (in French)
- 2006-2009 GENNETEC - FP6 STREP (FP6-IST-034952): GENetic NETworks: Emergence and Complexity
- 2006-2009 EvoTest - FP6 STREP (FP6-IST-33472): Evolutionary Testing
- ONCE-CS - FP6 CA: a Coordinated Action in the field of Complex Systems.
- Chromalgema - ACI NIM: Parameter Identification in Chemical Engineering.
- EASEA EAsy Specification of Evolutionary Algorithms
- DREAM - FP5 STREP (Distributed Resource Evolutionary Algorithm Machine)
Senior Fellow of the late ISGEC - International Society for Genetic and Evolutionary Computation, elected in 2004. ISGEC has now become SIGEVO, the ACM-Special Interest Group on Evolutionary Computation - but ISGEC fellows have not become ACM fellows :-)
EvolC The home-brewed
evolutionary software has long become totally obsolete thanks to the now-obsolete-too EO library
However, if you are using it, you must read the license
agreement that you implicitly agree with :-)
dissertation (written in Dec. 95, defended in Jan. 97)
You can check interesting links (aka "pointers of the month")