Pour une version francaise de cette page, cliquer ici.
Office location : building 650, office 205, phone +33 1 59 15 69 10, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
As of January 1st, 2020, Université Paris-Sud does not exist anymore and is part of the newly created Université Paris-Saclay.
As of January 1st, 2021, LRI has merged with LIMSI to create the new LISN, Laboratoire Interdisciplinaire des Sciences du Numérique.
Michel Beaudouin-Lafon is Professor of Computer Science, Classe Exceptionnelle, at Université Paris-Saclay and a senior fellow of Institut Universitaire de France. He has worked in human-computer interaction for over 30 years and was elected to the ACM SIGCHI Academy in 2006. His research interests include fundamental aspects of interaction, novel interaction techniques, computer-supported cooperative work and engineering of interactive systems. He has published over 200 papers and is an ACM Distinguished Speaker. His current research is conducted in the Ex-Situ group, a joint lab between Université Paris-Saclay, CNRS and Inria. He is the laureate of an ERC Advanced Grant and the head of the Digiscope and CONTINUUM infrastructure projects. Michel was director of LRI, the laboratory for computer science joint between Université Paris-Sud and CNRS (280 faculty, staff, and Ph.D. students) from 2002 to 2009, head of the Human-Centered Computing lab at LRI (2013-2020), and chair of the Department of Science and Technology of Information and Communication (STIC) of Université Paris-Saclay (2018-2020). He participates in the evaluation of many research institutions and research proposals at the French, European and international levels, such as the European Research Council panels for starting, advanced and synergy grants. He founded and co-directed two international masters in HCI, and was co-director of the doctoral school in computer science. He founded AFIHM, the Francophone association for human-computer interaction, and was its first president. Michel has also been active in ACM and SIGCHI for over 25 years, including as Technical Program Co-chair for CHI 2013 in Paris (3500 participants, 1000 presentations). He sits on the editorial boards of ACM Books and ACM TOCHI, has served on the ACM Council, ACM Europe Council and ACM Publications Board, and on several award and nominating committees of ACM and SIGCHI. He is currently vice-chair of the ACM Technology Policy Council. He received the ACM SIGCHI Lifetime Service Award in 2015.
Short resume (3 pages, PDF), Full resume (74 pages, in French, PDF)
- Our article Interactive Intermediate Representation for LaTeX code manipulation was awarded best paper and best demo honorable mention at the Francophone HCI conference IHM'20'21.
- I took part in a podcast series about Connected brain: fiction or reality ? as part of the Semaine du Cerveau event, on the theme Connected brain: how to reconcile human and machine (in French).
- I was interviewed in the series Vies de labo of Université Paris-Saclay (in French).
- I am the scientific director of the CONTINUUM "Equipment of Excellence" project, which has been selected for funding by the French government. Following up on the Digiscope project, CONTINUUM will create a national network of 30 interactive platforms for collaboration and visualization.
- As of January 1st, 2021, LRI merges with LIMSI and becomes LISN, Laboratoire Interdisciplinaire en Sciences du Numérique.
- Three of my recent Ph.D. students have been hired in prestigious academic positions : Ignacio Avellino as junior CNRS researcher at ISIR (Paris), Germán Leiva as assistant professort with tenure at Univ. Aarhus (Denmark), and Wanyu (Abby) Liu as junior CNRS researcher at IRCAM (Paris). Congratulations!
- I have created this interactive page to better understand the meaning of COVID-19 test results. I also have a page with plots of COVID19 cases and deaths.
- Our paper "Textlets: Supporting Constraints and Consistency in Text Documents" received a Honorable Mention award at CHI 2020
- The video of my Sanders Series Invited Lecture "Towards Unified Principles of Interaction" at the Toronto User Experience group (TUX) is available on YouTube. Watch the video
- I gave a "Visions" talk at the ACM UIST conference in New Orleans in October 2019: "A World Without Apps". Watch the video
- Our paper "Touchstone2: An Interactive Environment for Exploring Trade-offs in HCI Experiment Design" received a Best Paper award at CHI 2019
- Our paper "BIGFile: Bayesian Information Gain for Fast File Retrieval" received an Honorable Mention at CHI 2018
- As of June, 2018, I am chair of the Department of Computer Science at the newly created Université Paris-Saclay, with 1200 faculty and permanent researchers
- Our group had 11 accepted papers at the ACM CHI 2017 conference. I am a co-author on 5 of them, including a Best of CHI Paper award
- The video (in French) of my Colloquium at UPMC (Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris) on 28 February 2017 is available online. Title : Human-Computer Intefaces - Unifying Principles for Diversifying Interaction
- I have been awarded an ERC Advanced Grant titled ONE: Unified Principles of Interaction. The 5-year project will start in October, 2016 and I am looking for excellent PhD students and post-docs!
- Read my article in CNRS Le Journal (in French): Mieux penser les interfaces informatiques
and my article (in French) in Interstices: 50 ans d’Interaction Homme-Machine : retour vers le futur
- I have collaborated with Didier Goupy, photographer, for an installation showing the portraits of 188 French Academy members at the festival Bains Numériques in Enghien-les-Bains, June 1-5, 2016 (inauguration on June 1st).
- I am featured on Ben Shneiderman's web site "Encounters with HCI Pioneers: A Personal Photo Journal"
- The article Webstrates: Shareable Dynamic Media received a best paper award at the UIST 2015 conference (HAL)
- Our TOCHI paper "Mid-air Pointing on Ultra-Walls" (64 pages!) is now online (PDF on HAL).
- I received the ACM SIGCHI Lifetime Service Award at the CHI 15 conference. "The SIGCHI Lifetime Service Award goes to individuals who have contributed to the growth and success of SIGCHI in a variety of capacities".
- I am now an ACM Distinguished Speaker. If you invite me to give a seminar, expenses are covered by ACM (see conditions).
- Best of CHI award at ACM CHI'14 : Best of CHI for Effects of Display Size and Navigation Type on a Classification Task (article, video).
- Technical Program co-chair of the CHI 2013 Conference in Paris, April 27 - May 2, 2013. The conference broke all attendence records, with 3500 participants, 1000 presentations in 16 parallel sessions over 4 days.
- Two articles received an award at the ACM CHI'12 conference: Best of CHI for Using Rhythmic Patterns as an Input Method (article, video) and Honorable Mention pour Evaluating the Benefits of Real-time Feedback in Mobile Augmented Reality with Hand-held Devices (article, video)
- An article and a video in the special issue of IEEE Computer on Interaction Beyond the Keyboard : Multi-surface Interaction in the WILD Room (also available here)
- Senior member of the Institut Universitaire de France. Here is my research project
- The paper Cracking the Cocoa Nut : User Interface Programming at Runtime received a Notable Mention at UIST 2011
- The DIGISCOPE project was accepted to the French government Equipment of Excellence call (budget: 22M€ including 6.7M€ from ANR EQUIPEX)
- I spent two years (2010-2012) as Visiting Professor at Stanford University (HCI Group). I have taught a course with Wendy Mackay on Reinventing Interactive Systems.
- Viewpoint article in CACM on Open Access Publishing: [HTML], [PDF]
- WILD project : the largest high-resolution wall display in the world. (See also the project web site)
- Chair of the new Interaction specialty of the Master in Computer Science at Université Paris-Sud
Activities (current and recent)
- Technical Program Co-Chair for CHI 2013, ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems;
- Program Chair for UIST 2008, ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology;
- Conference co-chair for ECSCW 2005, European Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work;
- Conference chair for UIST 2002, ACM Symposium on User Interfaces Software and Technology;
- Papers co-chair for CHI 2001, ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems;
- Member of the ACM Europe Council ;
- Former member of the ACM Europe Council, former member-at-large of the ACM Council and former member of the ACM Publications Board.
- Founder and first President of AFIHM, Association Francophone d'Interaction Homme-Machine (French HCI Association);
- Former member of the executive committee of ASTI, Association des Sciences et Technologies de l'Information;
- Older courses (in French):
Author of "Les Langages à Objets : principe de base, techniques de programmation" (Armand Colin, 1992)
- English version published by Chapman & Hall.
- French version available on-line!
- Novel interaction techniques, including the use of sound, gesture and two-handed input
Computer-Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW), including shared editors and mediaspaces
How to go to LRI.
LISN - Bâtiment 650
91405 ORSAY Cedex
e-mail : email@example.com
tél : +33 1 69 15 69 10
fax : +33 1 69 15 65 86